Friday, May 14, 2010

Artist Liz Francis


A colourist at heart, my work is most oils and mixed media works, which adds texture and dimension to the painting.

I like to portray the energy and life force of the land, as well as it's beauty and ruggedness. I try and show the ancientness of the land, of how it has been here for time immemorial and will always be here, long after we have moved on.

My oil paintings are in an impressionist style, while my screen printing, which is the base for my mixed media works, I choose to block out the paper, rather than the screen, and in so doing produce one-off prints, rather than a limited edition of the same image.

I then collage calico or canvas strips and hand made paper, and screen print again, then add pieces of metail, feathers, gemstones, shells etc, which add texture as well as depth to my work.

Above all, I like to try new methods and materials, experimenting and extending myself that little bit further, challenging myself and drawing out the inner creativity within.

I was born in England, lived in Western Australia, Queensland and New Zealand, before settling in Primrose Sands in Tasmania.

I have been painting for over 20 years now, having completed an Associate Diploma of Art and Crafts, majoring in Printmaking.

For 12 years I was the arts writer for the local newspaper on the North West Coast of Tasmania.

I have had nine solo exhibitions since 1993, and been part of many group exhibitions in Tasmania, Sydney and one in Japan. I was also selected by Gallery Two from Launceston, to display work at the Australian Contemporary Art Fair in Melbourne one year, where I sold one of my art works.

I have also won many awards for my work since 1994, including winning the Art Society of Tasmania's annual exhibition in 2005, and my work has been collected by national and oversees buyers.

Examples of my work can be seen at the Stirling Fine Art Gallery, Perth, W.A. Argyle Gallery, The Rocks, Sydney, Quoll Artists Gallery Inc, St. Imre Vineyard, Dover, Hand Made and Designed Gallery, Sorell,m and Creative Paper, Burnie, Tasmania.
This image above is of Mt Ninderry, a mountain on the Sunshine Coast. It is mixed media on canvas, 90cm x 60 cm, and costs $480 plus postage.

1 comment:

  1. Bill and Helen France would like to get in touch with you.
    helenfrancetoo@gmail.com
    Older and wiser. Fond memories of Devonport.

    ReplyDelete